At the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB), we inspire our farmers, growers, and industry to succeed in a rapidly changing world. Working at AHDB, you won’t just be helping our farmers produce the food we eat and look after our environment, you’ll be helping shape the future of food production and leaving a legacy for the next generation.
Based in Stoneleigh, Warwickshire, we are currently recruiting for Crop Protection Senior Scientist – Pesticide Regulation on a full-time permanent basis. Working as part of the AHDB Crop Health & IPM team, you will be responsible for the direct management of research, developing and directing work associated with the use and regulation of plant protection products (including biologicals) within an Integrated Pest Management context, whilst providing the lead for technical topics. This includes activities associated with all aspects of the minor use programme including oversight of a programme of residues, efficacy and crop safety work linked to the IPM programme with consideration to mechanisms to avoid the development of pesticide resistance.
- Provide technical and strategic leadership for the use and regulation of plant protection products across all crop sectors
- Line manage and functionally direct the work of relevant colleagues in the CHIPM team as required
- Lead AHDB liaison in minor uses and regulatory issues with the agrochemical and biopesticide industry, working with UK and European/other international regulatory authorities
- Work with AHDB colleagues and external stakeholders to ensure that gaps in the crop protection armoury, and possible solutions, are identified through maintenance of pest, weed and disease risk registers
- Act as primary point of liaison between AHDB and UK regulator (CRD) on minor use issues, represent AHDB at European Minor Uses Group meetings and liaise with broader international minor use initiatives
- Degree educated or have extensive practical experience in a relevant scientific discipline, ideally with a post-graduate research degree or research experience
- Good knowledge of crop protection issues and the use and regulation of plant protection products for integrated pest management
- Respected by industry professionals and able to influence major stakeholder organisations
- Results driven manager, working with and developing a team to achieve stretch operational targets
- Ambitious, and interested in innovation and creative thinking, excited by learning curves and being challenged
- A natural team player with the ability to respond to the needs of colleagues across AHDB
Benefits – here are just a few things we offer to attract and retain the right people
- An extensive benefits package including 33 days annual leave plus one privilege day (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- A single private medical health scheme and life assurance cover
- A market-leading defined contribution pension scheme
- Applause Awards – every three months we celebrate employees who embrace our values; the core moral principles that are at the heart of everything we do
- Ambitious in Agriculture Awards – annual awards announced at staff conference in December
- Perkbox membership – this gives you a huge number of online discounts and savings
Apply now or call 02476 935722 if you require any further information.
Please note we reserve the right to close the vacancy early should we receive a significant number of suitable applications.
To apply for this job you must have the right to work in United Kingdom.