NFU Sugar: Adviser
12 month fixed term contract (maternity leave cover)
£33,913.46 per annum dependant on experience (Grade 4)
Based at NFU HQ (Stoneleigh Warwickshire)
About NFU Sugar
· NFU Sugar is part of the National Farmers Union. NFU Sugar represents all 3000+ sugar beet growers in Great Britain and negotiates £200m of sugar beet contracts annually on their collective behalf with the single beet processor (British Sugar plc – part of the £15bn turnover AB Foods Group).
· When it’s in our growers’ interests we also work closely with British Sugar on common interests, for example: Brexit – and inputting into the shape of the new domestic sugar policy; and Plant Protection – fighting to retain key products in our growers’ armoury.
About the home grown sugar industry
· The British sugar beet industry is one of the most efficient, lowest cost sugar producers in the world. It currently supplies 50% of all sugar consumed in the UK.
· Sugar beet yields have increased consistently by 2-3% per year; leading to a 50% yield increase in the last 30 years – far greater than any other broad acre crop.
· The UK sugar beet industry, along with all other EU countries, has just experienced two of the biggest changes in a generation:
i) Liberalisation of the EU’s sugar regime. This presents huge challenges, as well as opportunities, and means the UK is more exposed to the effects of the global sugar market
ii) A key insecticide (neonicotinoid) has just been banned across Europe, meaning that the UK’s beet growers will, for the first time since the early 1990s be planting sugar beet without this critical protection.
To be successful in this role you will need to possess:
· highly developed organisational skills to manage a varied workload and remain calm and organised under pressure
· the experience and ability to quickly understand complex/political issues
· excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and proven ability to provide clear briefings and advice within short timeframes
· Proven networking and persuasion skills; able to identify the people you need to engage and ensure their support for NFU Sugar’s work
· A degree or equivalent in a related discipline
About the role
Covering the maternity leave of the existing sugar adviser, you will deliver all elements of the role. These include public policy, public affairs, Board support, media engagement and grower communication functions. More information is contained with the Job Description.
Why join our team?
You will work with passionate people, recognised for their knowledge and expertise. Benefits include 25 days annual leave (plus statutory bank holidays), an attractive contributory Pension, a range of discounts through our NFU Benefits employee portal, and subsidised staff restaurant.
If you feel you have the right skills for this role, then please send a covering letter detailing why you are the right person for the role along with your CV to [email protected] For any queries, please email [email protected] or call 02476 858 858.
Closing date: 11th December 2018
The NFU is an Equal Opportunities employer and values diversity.
To apply for this job you must have the right to work in United Kingdom.